Thursday, April 7, 2011

Ignorance may be blissful but...

I have not had access to a bathroom scale for quite some time now... Some of you already know what happened to me the last time I was without one but I feel like telling the story again so skim it if you've heard it enough for your liking.

I was sent to Italy in late spring of 2005. I turned 19 while I was there. I left alone and was there for two weeks with my zia Nella. I had very little to do. The family wouldn't let me go out on my own, I couldn't speak Italian, and the family was busy most of the day so I sat at home in the room I'd taken over from my cousin Nicola. When I wasn't in that room reading or working on an assignment from my dad I was in the kitchen with zia. She fed me a great deal of delicious food for those two weeks (a GREAT deal). Two weeks passed and I was joined by my dad and we went touring around but the damage had been done. A month and half later I returned home to our bathroom scale that wasn't in metrics but far too familiar pounds, and discovered that I had gained 12 pounds. Yes, 12 pounds in a month and a half.

It is true that while ignorant one can remain blissful but once the ignorance is gone I think most people wish that either they had remained ignorant forever or had never been allowed that ignorance in the first place.

So we welcomed to our family a lovely dinosaur of a scale that won my heart at first glance. And here she is.



Yes, I may have to reset the scale to zero after use but she appears to work very well. And was cheaper than a new one! Ignorance be gone!!

8 comments:

katie said...

Next item of business... Gym membership. :)

Unknown said...

You are too funny. I don't think you give yourself enough credit for looking as good as you do without a scale.
Yet, I do know what you mean. Sometimes the scale can be beneficial. Dino scale is pretty cute.

Beth said...

Ha ha ha, want to know my sneaky secret? I use the scale at the pediatrician's office when the doctor isn't looking. :D That way I'm not getting on it every day, saying "tsk, tsk, tsk." But I also have a good source for accurate readings. And I feel so sly sneaking onto. Very fun.

Beth said...

And pooh pooh. You do not need a gym membership. You look great.

Nana said...

Based on your pictures, I can see why you like the detecto. I also love the name. Fear not about the few pounds you have tagging along. As I said, get yourself into some regular exercise routine and those few pounds will disappear, or not as muscle weighs more than fat. You will just be more toned. Don't worry so much about the number on the scale. And blog more. Maggie is so busy she isn't blogging and I like the news.

katie said...

Thanks all you lovely ladies!

Beth! I never knew you were sneaky... oh wait yes I did. Remember that one time you stole my social security card so I couldn't get my license before you!

And I do need a gym. I need to get moving not just for the scales sake but so I can keep up with J!

CaradonandtheBoys! said...

Katie, you are gorgeous and fantastic!! Miss you guys and love you so much!

The Jenkins Family said...

I agree with Caradon! Although, I can see how beneficial the whole exercise thing would be considering how much better I feel now that Adam dragged me kicking and screaming into the joys of running (and Brenda too, I can't forget about your lovely, inspiring mom). I can't wait to see how svelte and fast you are in October!! Bring it!! =)