Wednesday, April 20, 2011



Yes, it is a children's book. Yes, I am turning 25 next month, your point? If it's a good book it's a good book no matter what the target audience. I thoroughly enjoyed "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Toulane" (by: Kate DeCamillo) and heartily recommend it for all ages. It harks back to the childhood favorite "The Velveteen Rabbit" but in my humble opinion it elevates the story by quite a bit. So, it was not a surprise for the story to begin with a rabbit, but not a velvet rabbit, a rabbit made of china (a far more rigid and breakable substance) whose name is Edward.

Edward's journey takes him many places but the truly miraculous part of the journey is the change that occurs in Edward's heart. I felt a kinship with Edward's attitudes towards love. I believe I have felt, most, if not all of the emotions he experiences on his journey. I think it would be safe to assume that most people will have felt at least a few of them. Truly great books will do that, they will have something that can be related to, which helps the reader connect to the characters, to the story, and ultimately to whatever gem of truth (or truths) found therein. Like Edward I finished the book with the feeling that love is something I will always hope for. Really, who couldn't use more love in their heart? Read it. I do not think it will disappoint.

3 comments:

The Jenkins Family said...

I'll try this one out, Katie!

Nana said...

I loved it as well. Beth, the smarty pants, recommended it to me. And children's books are the best!

Beth said...

Wow! I didn't even make that connection with the velveteen rabbit. So true! And it is so much deeper too, takes it to a new level. Did I mention this book made me bawl? Like a baby.