Saturday, August 27, 2011

Salem---Seoul

Yesterday Adam took a half day and we drove all the way down to Salem, Oregon and back, for a two hour open house. Four hours there, four hours back was a little much. But, it was really wonderful to hear Adam reminisce about his childhood, teenager, and young adult life. It was also really great to see some of the people I had met only briefly at our own open house, meet a few new people, and see the lovely bride and groom.

While there I witnessed J. being bullied by three older kids. I'm going to be honest, I got pretty sassy with those three little boys. A truth, of which I'm not very proud. I let my emotions as a mother get the better of me (don't imagine the worst, I only told them that NO it is not ok to do a judo throw-down on a two year old boy, nor is it ok to be rude to him.) I probably could have scolded them in a more productive way, and I totally forgot to get them to apologize but enough said on that subject.

To end, my Adam is on a plane this very minute half-way across the Pacific on his way to Seoul. I already miss him and it's only been about seven hours. He'll be gone until next Sunday.

3 comments:

Nana said...

We were just talking about how when he lands he will have lost a day and then get it back again when he returns. So strange. I hope he enjoys his trip there. I am sure he won't recognize much from his missionary days, which will probably make him a little sad. But I am happy for him to see Korea again. Love your post. Do it more often, okay?

Sara Jean said...

Oh, Katie!! I know that feeling so well! It breaks my heart to see my boys picked on. Sounds like those boys NEEDED a good talking to! There is nothing quite like that natural "mother bear" instinct that kicks in when your child needs protecting.

I apologize for the times my boys have been too rough with sweet Jonathan! He's such a kind hearted little boy!

The Jenkins Family said...

I'm so sorry that Adam's gone, Katie. I hope the time goes by fast and that you and Jonathan have plenty to keep you busy until then! Remind me to tell you about Dallin's first day of school this year someday. I really had to work hard to keep my head together and not embarrass Dallin in front of some snooty, bratty kid who was making fun of him! I am proud of you for letting your motherly emotions get the best of you!! If we don't advocate for our kids, who will, right? =) Love you much!